Ready for your new favorite Fall breakfast? Give Savory Oatmeal a try! Hearty, healthy, filling, and delicious, this Savory Oatmeal with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, a Poached Egg, and Parmesan is easy to make for the work week.
Happy Tuesday! Did you guys have a good weekend? Mine was pretty good, though I feel like I struggled a bit with not being as productive as I would have liked and also not relaxing as much as I would have liked. I probably should have chosen one thing and just committed to it, you know? Full on relaxation or full on productive. This fifty splitsies thing just doesn’t work for me. BUT, I did feel like we got a brief glimpse of Fall here in Boston which was a nice change. We experienced normal temperatures and gray/rainy skies and I LOVED it. It wasn’t really cool enough for blankets or long sleeves, but it was definitely cool enough to make this savory oatmeal and love it. I mean, seriously love it. I’m trying to eat smoothie bowls and yogurt bowls for as long as I can, but I’m ready to embrace a good hearty fall breakfast.
Have you guys tried savory oatmeal yet? Does it sound weird or good to you? Truthfully it sounded a little strange to me at first, but now I’m a big time fan. It makes sense really, it’s basically just a grain bowl but you use oatmeal and it really truly works. Totally perfect for breakfast, but this would also be great for lunch. This version uses Scottish oats, roasted brussels sprouts, a poached egg, and sprinkles of salt, pepper and grated parmesan. I love it and I’m pretty sure you will too. But you should also feel free to mix and match. Use old-fashioned oats if that’s what you have, fry an egg if you’d rather not deal with poaching, and use any roasted or stir fried veggies you have on hand. This should be an easy, delicious, and filling meal that you don’t need to stress out about. You could also prep all the ingredients at the beginning of the week and just put it together each morning to save some time.
Have you tried savory oatmeal? Do you love or hate it? If you love it, please share your favorite toppings, I’m looking for ideas!
- 1 cup Scottish oats
- 3 cups water
- 20 brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 - 1½ TBSP olive oil
- ½ tsp aleppo pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 4 poached, fried, or soft boiled eggs
- scallions, parmesan as toppings
- To make the brussels sprouts
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place brussels sprouts (cut in half) on top. Toss with olive oil, aleppo pepper if using, and salt and pepper. Cook for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through, or until sprouts are cooked through and crisp on the outside.
- To make the oatmeal
- Bring 3 cups of water and ¼ tsp salt to boil in a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup of Scottish oats, stir, reduce heat and cover. Cook on low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir.
- Make your egg while the oatmeal is cooking.
- To serve, divide oatmeal and sprouts between four bowls. Top each bowl with a poached, fried, or soft boiled egg. Add grated parmesan, scallions, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!