Sausage and Apple Puff Pastry Tarts are an easy way to make a hearty and satisfying meal.
I love frozen puff pastry. Just defrost, roll, fill, bake, and you end up with a flaky tart full of goodness. That is particularly true with these savory Sausage and Apple Tarts. The savory sausage really compliments the sweet tartness of the apples, and the cheese and onions really bring it all together. I use a somewhat spicy chicken sausage and a sharp cheddar in these, but you can use any sausage you’d like (even veggie sausage) and you can substitute in a different cheese. I imagine gruyere would be a really delicious substitution.
I generally just defrost one sheet of puff pastry and make four medium tarts, but you could certainly make smaller tarts or one giant tart. Or if open-faced tarts aren’t your thing, you could use this same filling and make a sausage and apple pie using two sheets of puff pastry. Just follow the direction from my Samosa Pie recipe. There are so many possibilities and I’m pretty sure you can’t go wrong. Do you have favorite puff pastry toppings? I’m always looking for ideas so please share in the comments!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
- 1 cup diced apple (~1 small apple)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken sausage (6 oz)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 F.
- Place apple, chicken sausage, red onion, cheddar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium bowl and mix well. Place bowl in fridge while you prepare the puff pastry.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on a well floured surface or on a sheet of pachment paper. Use a rolling pin and roll puff pastry out to a 11 x 11 inch square. Use a knife or pizza cutter to divide pastry into four equal squares. Use a knife to gently score each square, about ½ inch in from all four edges. Be careful not to cut all the way through the pastry. Use a fork or knife to prick the inside of each square.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and gently transfer each square to the sheet. Carefully divide the sausage and apple mixture between the squares, being sure to keep the mixture within the scored edges.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes, or until edges are browned. Transfer to a cooling rack and eat warm.