AKA The make everything better bars
These bars are so good, just one bite can make even the worst day seem better.
Lucky for me, I’ve been making these for the last 15-ish years. When I was in college, my housemate’s sister used to send her care packages filled with delicious baked goods. She was generous enough to share her goodies, and these bars were always my absolute favorite. For a long time I thought they might actually be sort of healthy since they were made with crackers. But no. These are definitely NOT healthy. These are over the top sweet and they are ridiculously addicting. Imagine layers of cracker toffee, topped with a chocolate peanut butter butterscotch layer. That’s essentially what these are. These are minimal effort and are perfect for when baking season ends. But really, they’re good any time of year.
And they’re really fast to make. Just boil graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, brown sugar, and milk for a few minutes until it turns into a caramel like mixture. Layer that mixture with the crackers. And then top with melted chocolate + peanut butter + butterscotch. These bars are supposed to taste like Kit Kat bars, and I suppose they share the same layered look, but I think they taste more like a Twix. The hardest part is waiting until they cool. Of course you could just lick the chocolate peanut butter butterscotch spoon while you wait…
- ~96 Club crackers (or other buttery cracker)
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides, and line with a single layer of crackers.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, white sugar, butter, and milk to a boil over medium heat. It will turn into a caramel-like liquid. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Watch carefully, as the mixture can burn.
- Pour half the caramel/graham cracker mixture over the crackers. Spread very quickly over the crackers and then layer with another layer of crackers. Pour the remaining caramel/graham cracker mixture over the crackers and spread evenly. Top with another layer of crackers.
- Heat the butterscotch, chocolate, and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until fully melted. Spread the chocolate mixture over the crackers.
- Place the pan in the fridge until fully set. Remove the parchment from the pan and cut into bars. Bars are best at room temperature.